Zimbabwe is currently responding to the COVID-19 outbreak. The public is therefore being encouraged to adopt a number of behaviours that prevent contracting COVID-19. These preventive behaviours include:
- Avoid close contact with anyone with a cold or flu-like symptoms
- When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with tissue paper or flexed elbow- throw away the tissue immediately and wash hands
- Maintain a distance of at least a meter from the next person
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and running water
- After sneezing or coughing;
- When caring for the sick,
- After toilet use,
- Before eating food,
- Before, during and after preparing food,
- When hands are dirty
-After handling animals or animal waste.
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty in breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your health care provider.
The fear of contracting COVID-19 has forced some people to move around putting on face masks. Ministry of Health and Child Care encourages the use of masks in specific situations.
When to Use a Mask
The following are situations in which people are encouraged to use masks.
- For healthy people wear a mask only if you are taking care of a person with suspected COVID-19 infection
- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing
- Masks are effective only if used in combination with frequent hand sanitizing with alcohol sanitizer or soap and water
- If you wear a mask you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
How to Use and Dispose of a Mask
- Avoid touching the mask while using it
- If you touch the mask while using it, clean your hands with sanitizer or water and soap.
How to Put on, Use, take off and Dispose of a Mask
- Before putting on a mask clean hands with sanitizer or water and soap
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it becomes damp
- To remove the mask: Remove it from behind ( do not touch the front of the mask)
- Immediately discard into a closed bin.
- Clean hands with sanitizer or soap under running water
- Do not re-use single use masks
Produced by Ministry of Health and Child Care in collaboration with the Ministry of Information, Media and Broadcasting Services