CHOLERA DONATION ACCEPTANCE SPEECH BY THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND CHILD CARE
27 September 2018
- We received 500,000 doses of the cholera vaccine yesterday and preparations are at an advanced stage to initiate vaccination in the next week
- We hope we will be able to mobilise more vaccine before the end of the year to reach a larger part of the vulnerable populations
- The cholera outbreak which we are dealing with was first reported to the Ministry on 6th of September 2018 from Harare City suburbs of Glen View and Budiriro. Case have since been reported from other areas in Harare. To date a cumulative 9779 suspected cholera cases have passed through the treatment centres with the majority of these cases being reported from Glenview (5,078), Budiriro (2,519) and from BRIDH (2,182). We have sadly experienced deaths due to cholera in the community and at this hospital totalling 49 due to late presentation and because of complications related to co-morbidity.
- My Ministry, the City of Harare and Partners have responded to this outbreak in a swift manner in order to avert further cases and deaths. We don’t want this to be prolonged like what happened in the 2018/09 big cholera outbreak.
- There has been overwhelming support from both local/national and international organizations to the response and I wish to express on behalf the government, our appreciation to all who have supported us so far, who include Lotto Africa, Stanbic Bank, Nedbank, Amtec, Delta, Schweppes, Higher Life Foundation, Avenues clinic and Bakers Inn for the much needed donations and resources.
- Today we are accepting more donations from Potraz, Stanbic Bank, Food World, Potraz and the Iranian Embassy. We are very grateful for your gesture. I assure you that these donations will be used appropriately for the purpose of cholera control.
- We have developed a response and this plan details the actions and resources required for us to control the outbreak
- This plan outlines the short-term, medium term and long term strategies for us to combat the current and future outbreaks of cholera
- We will share the plan with yourselves as well as others who may want to donate towards the cholera fight