REHABILITATION DEPARTMENT IN THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND CHILD CARE
For all persons with injuries, diseases, physical, mental and social impairments and disabilities to achieve their maximum possible functional independence and enjoy equal rights and opportunities in their communities.
To provide quality medical and social rehabilitation services through:
- Educating communities about disability and available services
- Early detection of injuries, impairments and disabilities
- Early treatment and management of injuries, impairments and disabilities
- Provision of assistive technology
- Provision of accessible medical rehabilitation services in all Public Health institutions of Zimbabwe
- Provision of rehabilitation services in the community
- Provision of individualized programs and services that addresses specific needs of clients
- Research to inform policy , programming and treatment outcomes
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech therapy
- Audiology services
- Orthotic and prosthetic services
- Other Assistive technologies
- Assessment and referral
- Domiciliary visits
Rehabilitation Centres offering specialized services
- Children’s rehabilitation Units(CRU) Mpilo CRU and Harare Hospital CRU)
- RUWA Rehabilitation Centre – Spinal Injuries
- Rehabilitation for mental illness (Ingutsheni, Parirenyatwa Annexe, Harare Hospital, Ngomahuru)
- National orthopaedic referral centres ( Parirenyatwa hospital, UBH Bulawayo)
Who makes the Rehabilitation team?
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech therapists
- Orthopaedic technologists
- Rehabilitation technicians
Occupational therapy helps the patient to regain the ability to do normal everyday tasks. This may be achieved by restoring old skills and teaching the patient or client new skills to adjust to injuries and disabilities through adaptive equipment, orthotics and or work environment. This includes provision of assistive devices, aids and appliances to improve function in self care skills (bathing, feeding, grooming, toileting etc), home maintenance tasks, work skills and ergonomics, productive activities such as housekeeping and childcare, ergonomics in the work environment, assessments for legal claims as well as in leisure and recreational activities. The duration of therapy depends on the injury or illness being treated and the patient’s or client’s responds to therapy.
Physiotherapy help the client restore the use of muscles, bones and nerves system through the use of heat, cold massage, hydrotherapy, electrotherapy, exercise and other techniques. It seeks to relieve pain, improve strength and mobility and train the patient or client to perform every per task. The duration of therapy depends on the injury or illness being treated and the patient’s or client’s responds to therapy.
Audiology helps with the assessment and treatment of hearing impairment. The assessment include: Pure tone audiometry, conditioned play Audiometry, special procedure i.e. stinger test and distraction test. The treatments include fitting assistive hearing aids, language therapy, speech reading training and basic speech therapy services. Screening programmes are also done for new born babies, young children and school screening programmes.
National Orthopaedic Services
- Assessments for orthoses and prosthesis
- Manufacture and fitting of prosthetic and orthotic devices
- Maintenance and servicing of devices
- The services are for people with post traffic accident injuries and disabilities, congenital malformations, post poliomyelitis disabilities, spinal deformities, occupational and other injuries and amputees
- Stroke patients
- Mental health patients ( Adults and children)
- Burns patients
- Physical disability
- Intellectual disabilities
- People with injuries from work, RTA ( Road traffic accidents). Communities etc ( Factures, soft tissue injuries, weak muscles, amputations).
- Patients with degenerative diseases- Arthritis
- Cardiovascular diseases (Hypertension, Diabetes etc.)
- Learning disabilities ( ADHD, Autism,Down syndrome etc ).
- HIV/AIDS Patients
- Cancer patients
- Children with behavioral problems
- People with sensory problems (
- Geriatric patients (memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia)
Deputy Director Rehabilitation Services
Tel:+263 4 790513