The vision of the Directorate of Pharmacy Services is to be a provider of world class quality pharmaceutical services to the citizens of Zimbabwe
The mission of the Directorate of Pharmacy Services is to provide within the available resources good quality medicines and medical supplies that are safe, effective, accessible, and rationally used to the population of Zimbabwe.
The DPS’s overall objective is to improve the health of the citizens of Zimbabwe through proper procurement, promotion of local production of essential medicines and management of medicines ensuring:
q S – Safety
q E - Efficacy
q Q – Quality
q A – Availability
q A - Affordability
q A – Accessibility and
R – Rational usage
The Directorate of Pharmacy Services will be guided by the following values;
- Client & Service Provider Satisfaction
5. OVERALL FUNCTIONS
- To avail essential medicines throughout the nation, including 100% availability of vital medicines at all times at all levels.
- To ensure successful implementation of the ZNMP through enactment and updating of appropriate legislation and regulation in collaboration with MCAZ
- Selection of medicines and medical supplies according to the Essential Medicines concept of the World Health Organisation (WHO) in collaboration with National Medicine and Therapeutics Policy Advisory Committee (NMTPAC) and Hospital Medicine and Therapeutics Committees (HMTCs)
- Quality assurance to ensure supply of safe, effective quality medicines and medical supplies
- To promote cost effective production of medicines within Zimbabwe in accordance with the standards of current good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
- To ensure sufficient funding to implement the ZNMP and establish a programme of work to this end, and the allocation of funds to the public sector for the procurement of medicines.
- To procure and distribute safe and effective medicines of acceptable quality, in the necessary quantities, at the lowest possible cost, and to ensure that these medicines are maintained in good condition throughout the supply chain in order to minimize wastage and loss.
- To promote the rational use through prescribing, dispensing and use of medicines both in the public and private sectors
- To ensure security of supplies at service delivery points
- To monitor and evaluate the impact of the NMP on a regular basis.
- To train, retain and recruit pharmacy employees at all levels of the health system in Zimbabwe
Mrs R Hove
+263 4 798537-60
Mr N. Madzikwa
+263 4 798537-60