The National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), set up in 2001, is the management arm of the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) that coordinates malaria control interventions in the country. The NMCP spearheads the development of malaria policy documents, national guidelines and standard operating procedures and manuals as well as resource mobilization and partnership coordination. The NMCP guides and oversees the implementation of malaria prevention, control and elimination activities and monitors disease trends.


A Malaria-Free Zimbabwe 

Mission statement

To provide, promote and advocate for equitable, comprehensive, cost effective, efficient and quality malaria control services ensuring transparency, accountability, client satisfaction, community ownership and partnership.


To reduce malaria incidence to 5/1000 and malaria deaths by at least 90% of the 2015 figure by 2020


1.       To protect at least 85% of the population at risk of malaria with an appropriate malaria prevention interventions for the period 2016-2020

  1. To provide prompt and appropriate treatment to all confirmed malaria cases by 2018 and maintain up to 2020
  2. To strengthen surveillance, monitoring and evaluation for all malaria interventions for the period 2016-202
  3. To eliminate local malaria transmission in at least 9 districts by 2020
  4. To increase utilization of all malaria interventions to at least 85% by 2020
  5. To provide effective leadership and an enabling environment for optimal program management and coordination at all levels by 2020


The predominant malaria parasite in Zimbabwe is Plasmodium falciparum which accounts for 98% of all reported malaria cases. Plasmodium ovale, P vivax and P. malariae account for the remainder (2%). The primary vector is Anopheles arabiensis and it is widely distributed in the eight rural provinces. Anopheles funestus, resistant to two groups of insecticides – pyrethroid and carbamates, was detected in 2013 in Mutasa and Mutare districts in Manicaland province. This efficient vector has also been detected in Karoi District in Mashonaland West. Currently, the country is conducting entomological surveillance to determine its distribution.


Zimbabwe Malaria Stratification Map 2015

The risk of malaria in Zimbabwe is lowest in the north-south central region and increases towards the country’s borders with Mozambique, Zambia.


NMCP key interventions are vector control and case management underpinned by social and behavioural change communication (SBCC), surveillance, monitoring, evaluation and operational research (SMEO) [including pre-elimination focused interventions], Epidemic Preparedness and Response (EPR), partnerships coordination and integrations and program management.

Legislation, Regulation, Policies and Guidelines

  • National Malaria Prevention and Control Policy (2010)
  • National Malaria Strategic Plan (2016-2020)
  • Malaria Communication Strategy (2016-2020)
  • Insecticide Resistance Monitoring and Management Plan for Malaria Vectors in Zimbabwe (2016-2020)
  • Guidelines and treatment protocols for the management of malaria


Zimbabwe has made significant progress in the reduction of the malaria burden. Malaria incidence declined by 84.5% from 136/1000 population in 2000 to 21/1000 population in 2016. This has seen the country implement malaria elimination activities in 20 out of the 47 malaria transmission districts. However the 2017 incidence is expected to increase due to an increase in outbreaks. The country received a lot of rain during the 2016/2017 malaria season which increased the mosquito breeding places resulting in the increased mosquito population density. This led to an increase malaria outbreaks experienced in the provinces. Floods also displaced some populations which increased their vulnerability to malaria. By mid third quarter of 2017 the number of cases had surpassed the cases recorded in 2015 and 2016 for the same period.


Contact Person

The Director

Phone: 263 4 798537 Ext 3128